Business Recovery:

Products and solutions to help your business move forward.

Get Started



Ask the Experts: Milling Machine Vise Alignment for Quick Changeover

Grainger Editorial Staff

Hello and welcome to another edition of Grainger Ask the Experts. Today, we're talking about how to pin a vice on a mill for quick changeover.

Here's how it's done. On the under side of a vice like this, you'll find precision machine slots, both in both X and Y axis. Those slots are to be used to assemble precision machine blocks that would go here and here for one axis, of course, here and here for the other axis, depending upon your work.

When you put this vice on the table, it's important to know that, number one, you should have stops that are installed on the table so that it can locate in a specific location not only on the T slot here, but of course perhaps even in the other axis to give it an exact location in X and Y. Once it's there, once you lay the vice back down on the table, it's important to push the vice to the back of that T slot before you tighten it down, because those blocks are manufactured, or should be manufactured slightly smaller than the T slot so that it can come in and out quickly, so you should locate against the back. That gives you a reference point that's always in the exact same location, so now the machine knows precisely where the work is in all three axis, and you're ready to push cycle start.

Thanks for watching this edition of Grainger Ask the Experts. For more helpful tips and videos, check out the full series.

The information contained in this article is intended for general information purposes only and is based on information available as of the initial date of publication. No representation is made that the information or references are complete or remain current. This article is not a substitute for review of current applicable government regulations, industry standards, or other standards specific to your business and/or activities and should not be construed as legal advice or opinion. Readers with specific questions should refer to the applicable standards or consult with an attorney.


Get more great content like this sent to your inbox.