Pressure washers can make short, easy work of difficult and time-consuming tasks. Choosing the right pressure washer for the job, however, is the first and most critical step. You don’t want to buy more power than you need, and if you don’t have enough power, you’ll spend too much time on the task. So how do you know how much pressure you need to do which jobs?
Types of Pressure Washers
Pressure washers can be divided into two major categories.
- Commercial pressure washers are your heavier-duty, industrial washers with more power for bigger jobs and personal.
- Residential power washers are the second variety and often cost less because they don’t need as much power.
You will also want to consider the following specifications:
- PSI (Pounds per Square Inch) The amount of force discharged by the device.
- GPM (Gallons Per Minute) This refers to how much water flows from the device in one minute of operation.
- Horsepower An engine with more horsepower is needed for stronger PSI and GPM.
- Gas Powered Can only be used outdoors, but offer more power.
- Electric Limited power but can be used indoors and out.
- Hot-Water Cleaning Cleans faster, more thoroughly.
- Cold-Water Cleaning More portable.