The next extreme weather event may be right around the corner. Don't wait till the last minute to prepare for it. Now's the time to look at the dangers of heat waves and make sure your business is ready to face them.
First and foremost, you want to make sure your employees are ready to work safely in adverse conditions. Take a look at OSHA's guidance on heat illness prevention. With smart scheduling, hydration and cooling, your people can take care of business even when the temps are breaking records.
Here's a list of stuff to think about—some things that you may want to have on hand before the next heat wave hits:
- Extra water coolers or water stations
- Refrigerated bottled water
- Sports drinks that replace electrolytes
- Hydration packs
- Evaporative cooling towels
- Cooling vests with insertable cold packs
- Ice machines and dispensers
- Instant ice packs and reusable ice packs for immediate relief
- Cooling head wear, including terry cloth hard hat inserts
- Collapsible tents and canopies for outdoor shade
- Window shades, exterior sun shades, blinds and curtains to lessen solar heating
- Supplements to your existing HVAC system, like:
- Heat stress monitor to track environmental conditions