GRAINGER PRIVACY SUMMARY
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION AND HOW IS IT COLLECTED?
We collect many categories of personal information. The categories we collect may include: Contact and profile information; comments and suggestions, chat and opinions; Payment and transaction information; Location information; Information provided by social networks; Information provided by third parties; Information about fraudulent or criminal activity related to your account.
This personal information is collected from you in many ways, which are described in the full Policy. A few examples include:
- When You Submit Personal Information To Us. We collect personal information about you when you register for an account, make a purchase, sign up for marketing communications, or send it to us.
- When You Use Our Service. We collect some personal information about you automatically as you use our Service and visit our branches.
- From Our Third-Party Partners. We may also collect personal information from our third-party partners who help us to provide the Service or from other third party partners to supplement or enhance our information.
We may link or combine information that we collect about you from various sources to help ensure a consistent user experience regardless of how you interact with us – online, in-branch, on mobile, or on social media.
To Learn More about the information we collect and how we use it, or see our full Policy.
HOW DO WE SHARE INFORMATION?
We share information in a variety of circumstances to provide our services, respond to your requests, improve your experience, and otherwise conduct our business. For example, we may share information:
- With third parties to fulfill your request, such as when you choose to share your activities on Grainger with your friends and contacts, or when you engage in promotional activities we provide with third party partners
- With select third parties, so that they can provide you with information and marketing messages about products and services you may enjoy
To Learn More about these and other ways in which we may share your personal information, please see our full Policy.
WHAT CHOICES DO YOU HAVE?
We want you to understand your choices regarding how we may process your personal information. Depending on how you use the Service, these choices may include the following:
- Interest-based advertising. Visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, and/or the DAA’s resources to learn about how you may opt-out of certain interest-based advertising. Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. Furthermore, if you use a different device, change browsers or delete cookies, you may need to perform the opt-out task again
- Cookies Settings and Preferences. You may disable cookies and other tracking technologies through the settings in your browser.
- E-mail Settings and Preferences. If you no longer want to receive marketing e-mails from us, you may choose to unsubscribe at any time. You can also set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain tracking technologies.
California residents click here to learn how we process information in accordance with California law.
Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW DO WE USE IT?
- INFORMATION AUTOMATICALLY COLLECTED THROUGH COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGY.
- HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
- YOUR CHOICES AND CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION
- THIRD PARTY DATA COLLECTION AND INTEREST BASED ADVERTISING
- HOW WE STORE AND PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
- CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
- STATE-SPECIFIC DISCLOSURES
- LINKS TO OTHER WEB SITES AND SERVICES
- HOW TO CONTACT US
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW DO WE USE IT?
We collect personal information about you when you voluntarily submit information to us when you use our Service. This can include information you provide to us when you register for an account, make a purchase, post a review, send us messages, subscribe to our mailing lists, newsletters or other forms of marketing communications, participate in a survey, click on an ad, redeem a promotion or use some other feature of our Service.
We collect certain information automatically when you use the Service, such as information about the pages you look at on our Service, the actions you take on our Service or the device you use to access our Service.
We may also collect information about you from third parties.
For example, the types of personal information we collect may include:
- Contact and profile information
- Comments, chat and opinions
- Payment and transaction information
- Location information
- Information provided by social networks
- Information provided by third parties
- Information about fraudulent or criminal activity related to your account
The list below sets out the types of personal information we collect about you and how we use that information.
- Contact and profile information. We may collect personal information, such as your name, phone number, address, business information, and e-mail address, when you when you register for our Service, sign up for our mailing list, enter a contest, participate in an offer, redeem a promotion, or enter a sweepstakes, or otherwise communicate or interact with us. We will use your contact information to create your account, to communicate with you directly about the Service and about any questions, issues or concerns you or other users have, and to send you marketing communications in accordance with your preferences.
- Comments, chat and opinions. When you communicate with us directly, e.g. by email, phone, mail or by completing an online form or participating in online chat, we will record your comments and opinions. We will also record comments and opinions you express when responding to surveys, entering a sweepstakes or taking part in promotions we run. We will use your comments and opinions to address your questions, issues and concerns and improve our products and services. We may also use your use the comments and opinions to determine products and services that may be of interest to you and to send you marketing communications in accordance with your marketing preferences.
- Payment and transaction information. We collect information such as items purchased, data and time of your transaction, and payment information, such as your credit card or bank account details, when you make an in-branch or online purchase in order to complete the transaction, detect and prevent fraud, and inform our advertising and marketing.
- Location Information. We collect information about your location. If you provide our mobile applications access to location services on your device, we and our third party providers may collect location data through GPS, WiFi, wireless network triangulation or other methods. We may also approximate your location based on your IP address. We use your location information to provide personalized content and advertising, to enhance your shopping experience, to assist us with analytics such as foot traffic measurement, and to improve the effectiveness of our websites, branches, mobile applications, merchandise, advertising, and customer service. We may also use your location information to provide you with more information regarding events such as trade shows, personalized offers regarding products, services, or other opportunities, and notifications via social media which may interest you.
- In-Branch Information. We also work with third party partners who may collect location and movement data when your device is in proximity to in-branch beacon technology, which detects the presence of a device through Bluetooth or WiFi signals even if you are not currently using the app. Our third party partners provide this location information to us in aggregate so that we can analyze foot patterns and measure the effectiveness of our marketing and promotional campaigns. See Section 4, Your Choices and Control Over Your Information to learn more.
- Information provided by social networks. When you interact with our Service through various social media networks, such as when you Like us on Facebook or when you follow Grainger or share Grainger content on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn, Instagram or other sites, we may receive information from those social networks including your profile information and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. We use this information to communicate or interact with you on the social network, to better understand the demographics of our visitors and to personalize content and advertising. The data we receive is dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network. You should always review, and if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third party websites and social media networks and services before linking or connecting them to our website or Service.
- Information we receive from authentication services you connect to our Service. Some parts of our Service may allow you to login through a third party social network or authentication service such as Facebook or Google. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us, which could include your name, email address, address book and contacts, or other information. The data we receive is dependent on that third party’s policies and your privacy settings on that third party site. We will use this information to authenticate your Grainger account, to provide you services, to communicate with you, and for advertising and marketing purposes.
We may offer Face ID, Touch ID or fingerprint authentication as an alternative log-in method to password if you access the Service through an Apple or Android device equipped with authentication technology. We are only notified as to whether the authentication was successful and cannot access the data associated with the enrolled fingerprint. For more details, please refer to the fingerprint security guides offered by your device provider.
- Information provided by third parties. From time to time, we may receive information about you from third parties and other users, for example we may obtain information from our suppliers, resellers, marketing partners, and other business partners or from other members of your company or organization. We may obtain information from third parties to enhance or supplement our existing user information. For example, we may obtain mailing address information or we may work with third party partners who help us determine a location based on your IP address so that we are able to customize content for your location. We may also collect information about you that is publicly available. We may combine this information with the information we collect from you directly. We use this information to contact you, to send you advertising or promotional materials or to personalize our Service, to pre-populate online forms, and to better understand the demographics of our users.
- Information provided by other Grainger entities. We may receive information about you from other Grainger companies, businesses, brands and affiliated entities in our family of companies, so that information you provide to one brand may be used by another brand to provide you services or to communicate with you.
- Information about fraudulent or criminal activity relating to your account. We may use information about fraudulent or criminal activity associated with the use of our Service related to your account for the purposes of detecting and preventing fraud or abuse.
All personal information: We will use the personal information we collect to operate, maintain and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, to communicate with you, to monitor and improve our Service and business, and to help us develop new products and services.
If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with requested products, services or information.
Cross-Context Information. We may link or combine your activities and information collected from you on our websites and mobile apps with your in-branch purchases and information we receive from third parties, as well as information we collect automatically through tracking technologies. This allows us to provide you with a personalized experience regardless of how you interact with us – online, in-branch, on mobile or social media.
We and our third party partners use tracking technologies to automatically collect usage and device information, such as:
- Information about how you access the Service, for example, the site from which you came and the site to which you are going when you leave our website, how frequently you access the Service, when and whether you open emails or click the links contained in emails, whether you access the Service from multiple devices, and other actions you take on the Service.
- Information about how you use the Service, for example, the pages you visit, the links you click, the ads you view and click on, purchase information and your checkout process, your location when you access or interact with our Service, and other similar actions.
- Information about the computer, tablet, smartphone or other device you use, , such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, platform type, device type/model/manufacturer, operating system, date and time stamp, a unique ID that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, mobile device or your account (including, for example, a persistent device identifier or an Ad ID), and other such information.
- Analytics information. We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service and to understand more about the demographics and behaviors of our users.
We, or the third party partners we use, may use the data collected through tracking technologies to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content and advertising; (c) identify and contact you across multiple devices; (d) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (e) perform analytics and detect usage patterns on our Service; (f) diagnose or fix technology problems; (g) detect or prevent fraud or other harmful activities, and (h) otherwise to plan for and enhance our service.
Your choices to control tracking technologies. If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies.
Blocking or deleting cookies may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly.
Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all tracking technologies.
You may set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you viewed or engaged with our emails.
Deleting cookies does not delete Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as Flash objects and HTML5. You can learn more about Flash objects - including how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies – on Adobe’s website or by clicking here. If you choose to delete Flash objects from our Service, then you may not be able to access and use all or part of the Service or benefit from the information and services offered
Do Not Track. Although we do our best to honor the privacy preferences of our visitors, we are not able to respond to Do Not Track signals from your browser at this time.
To learn more about how we and our third party partners use information for online advertising purposes, please see Third Party Data Collection and Interest Based Advertising below.
4. YOUR CHOICES AND CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION
Profile and data sharing settings: You may update your profile information, such as your user name, address, or billing information, and may change some of your data sharing preferences on your Account Page.
How to control your email preferences: You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt out of service-related communications (e.g., account verification, transactional communications, changes/updates to features of the Service, technical and security notices). If you receive SMS text messages, you may opt-out at any time by replying STOP or following the instructions in the text message communication.
Modifying or deleting your information: If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, or if you want to remove your name or comments from our website or publicly displayed content, you can submit a request through our Privacy Portal or via the Privacy Center within your Grainger account. In addition, if you may also contact Customer Service. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
Geolocation and in-branch location: You may control location tracking by adjusting your location services settings on your mobile device. We may continue to approximate your location based on your IP address when you access the Service through a computer or device.
5. THIRD PARTY DATA COLLECTION AND INTEREST BASED ADVERTISING.
We engage in interest-based advertising and permit third party online advertising networks, social media companies and other third party services, to collect information about your use of our websites and mobile apps over time so that they may play or display ads on our Service, on other websites, apps or services you may use, and on other devices and advertising channels you may use. We may also use third party services to collect information about your browser or device, or your online activity on our Service so that we may enhance or personalize your experience, better understand the demographics of our users and how they interact with our Service, evaluate the success of our marketing campaigns, track reporting, referrals and attribution, and similar activities.
User Experience Information.
On some of our Services, we use third party tools to monitor user experience information. These tools automatically collect usage information, including mouse clicks and movements, page scrolling and any text keyed into website forms. The information collected does not include passwords, payment details, or other sensitive personal data. We use this information for site analytics, optimization and to improve website usability. We do not permit this information to be shared with or used by third parties for their own purposes.
Interest Based Advertising
We participate in interest-based advertising and use third party advertising companies to serve you targeted advertisements based on your browsing history. Typically, though not always, the information used for interest-based advertising is collected through cookies or similar tracking technologies, which recognize the device you are using and collect information, including click stream information, browser type, time and date you visited the site and other information. We may share a common account identifier (such as an email address or user ID) with our third party advertising partners to help identify you across devices. We and our third party partners use this information to make the advertisements you see online more relevant to your interests, as well as to provide advertising-related services such as reporting, attribution, analytics and market research.
We, or our third party partners, may link your various devices so that content you see on one device can result in relevant advertising on another device. We do this by collecting information about each device you use when you are logged in to our Service. We may also work with third party partners who employ tracking technologies, or the application of statistical modeling tools, to determine if two or more devices are linked to a single user or household. We may share a common account identifier (such as an email address or user ID) with third party advertising partners to help recognize you across devices. Our partners may combine this information with information they collect directly or receive from other partners, both online and offline, so that they may recognize your device across different channels and platforms, including computers, mobile devices and smart TVs. We, and our partners, can use this cross-device linkage to serve interest-based advertising and other personalized content to you across your devices and advertising channels, to perform analytics and to measure the performance of our advertising campaigns.
Your Choices and Control Over Cookies, Tracking and Interest-Based Advertising Preferences
- Cookies and Flash cookies. Most browsers allow you to adjust your browser settings to: (i) notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies.
Blocking or deleting cookies may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly.
Deleting cookies does not delete Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as Flash objects and HTML5. To manage Flash cookie settings and preferences, you must use the settings manager on Adobe’s website or by clicking here. If you choose to delete Flash objects from our Service, then you may not be able to access and use all or part of the Service or benefit from the information and services offered.
- Interest-based advertising and targeting cookies. To learn about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt-out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices, and/or the DAA’s resources at www.aboutads.info/choices. To opt out of targeting cookies, please click “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” in the website footer and adjust your cookie preferences.
- Cross-device linking. Please note that opting-out of receiving interest-based advertising through the NAI’s and DAA’s online resources will only opt-out a user from receiving interest-based ads on that specific browser or device, but the user may still receive interest-based ads on his or her other devices. You must perform the opt-out on each browser or device you use.
- Mobile advertising. You may also be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings on your mobile device by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS) or “opt-out of interest based ads” (Android). You may also be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
- Some of these opt-outs may not be effective unless your browser is set to accept cookies. If you delete cookies, change your browser settings, switch browsers or computers, or use another operating system, you may need to opt-out again.
Social Media Widgets and Advertising
Our Service may include social media features, such as the Facebook Like button, Google Plus, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter or other widgets. These social media companies may recognize you and collect information about your visit to our Service, and they may set a cookie or employ other tracking technologies. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy policies of those companies.
We display targeted advertising to you through social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others. These companies have interest-based advertising programs that allow us to direct advertisements to users who have shown interest in our Service while those users are on the social media platform, or to groups of other users who share similar traits, such as likely commercial interests and demographics. We may share a unique identifier, such as a user ID or hashed email address, with these platform providers or they may collect information from our website visitors through a first-party pixel, in order to direct targeted advertising to you or to a custom audience on the social media platform. These advertisements are governed by the privacy policies of those social media companies that provide them. If you do not want to receive targeted ads on your social networks, you may be able to adjust your advertising preferences through your settings on those networks. For example:
- Facebook. To learn more about your advertising preferences on Facebook, click here.
- Twitter. To learn more about privacy controls for personalized ads on Twitter, click here.
- LinkedIn. To learn more about advertising preferences on LinkedIn, click here.
Third party partners.
The following is a sample of the third party service partners we work with to provide cross-device linking and/or advertising services. We will strive to update this list if or when we work with new partners which offer you a choices about the collection of your information, but as partners change and new technologies become available, this list is likely to change over time and may not always reflect our current partners.
Google Analytics and Advertising. We use Google Analytics and Google Universal Analytics to recognize you and link the devices you use when you visit our site or Service on your browser or mobile device, login to your account on our Service, or otherwise engage with us. We share a unique identifier, like a user ID or hashed email address, with Google Universal Analytics to facilitate the service. Google Analytics allows us to better understand how our users interact with our Service and to tailor our advertisements and content to you. For information on how Google Analytics collects and processes data, as well as how you can control information sent to Google, review Google's site “How Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps” located at www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can learn about Google Analytics’ currently available opt-outs, including the Google Analytics Browser Ad-On here.
We may also utilize certain forms of display advertising and other advanced features through Google Analytics, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager Integration, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. These features enable us to use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the Doubleclick advertising cookie) or other third party cookies together to inform, optimize, and display ads based on your past visits to the Service. You may control your advertising preferences or opt-out of certain Google advertising products by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager, currently available at https://adssettings.google.com/ or by vising NAI’s online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices.
Google Advertising. To learn more about your ad settings through Google, click here.
Adobe Experience Cloud. We participate in the Adobe ExperienceCloud to better understand how you use our website and apps across the various devices you use, and to deliver tailored content and advertisements. https://www.adobe.com/privacy/opt-out.html#customeruse to learn more about how Adobe links your devices and to manage your choices relating to this linking of devices.
6. HOW WE STORE AND PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
Data storage and transfer: Your information collected through our website may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Grainger or its affiliates or service providers maintain facilities. If you are located in the European Union or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that we may transfer information, including personal information, to a country and jurisdiction that does not have the same data protection laws as your jurisdiction.
Keeping your information safe: Security of your information is very important to us, and we have put in place safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of information we collect and that we share with our service providers. However, no security system is impenetrable and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and, where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
7. CHILDREN’S PRIVACY
Grainger does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 on this Site. In the event that we learn that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 13, please contact us at Data.Privacy@grainger.com
8. STATE-SPECIFIC DISCLOSURES
We may choose or be required by law to provide different or additional disclosures relating to the processing of personal information about residents of certain states. Please refer below for disclosures that may be applicable to you:
- California. If you are a California resident, please click here for additional California-specific privacy disclosures. You may also submit a request through our Privacy Portal.
- Nevada. Chapter 603A of the Nevada Revised Statutes permits a Nevada resident to opt out of future sales of certain covered information that a website operator has collected or will collect about the resident. To submit such a request, please submit a request through our Privacy Portal.
Effective date: May 15, 2022.