The Ready Rating Program provides a simple guide to help organizations assess their readiness and build and implement response plans.
Ready When the Time Comes, a corporate volunteer program, taps the human resources of corporate America.
Limit your vulnerability and losses from predictable events. Grainger offers the products and service you need to help you prepare for, respond to and recover from hazards, including communicable diseases such as colds and flu.
Most experts believe that seasonal colds and flu are spread when droplets from ill people land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby through coughing, sneezing or simply talking. They may also spread by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching your mouth, eyes or nose.
Preventing Colds and Flu
| || |
If a Cold or Flu Outbreak Occurs
| || |
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) defines a pandemic as a global disease outbreak. The CDC classifies a flu pandemic as an outbreak of a new influenza virus that humans have little or no immunity to and that has no vaccine. This virus causes serious illness and can spread globally.
Avian Flu Protection
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) published "Guidance for Protecting Workers Against Avian Flu." This document provides background information on the disease and offers recommendations for employees or individuals who could potentially be exposed to avian flu. Learn more about avian flu with these articles and resource links.
The CDC recommends that employers develop pandemic influenza response plans in the event of a serious outbreak of influenza. Learn more about H1N1 with these articles and resource links.
Preventing the Avian and H1N1 Viruses
Grainger has a variety of products to help prevent the spread of the Avian and H1N1 viruses around your workplace.
West Nile Virus Protection
With the warmer temperatures come those pesky mosquitoes. Grainger has put together fast facts about the West Nile Virus, plus an assembled list of preventative products that could help you or your workers if your exposure risk is high.
Preventing the West Nile Virus
Grainger offers several DEET products and other insect protection to help keep the mosquitoes away.
Avian Flu Articles, Links and Info
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
- FDA Approves vaccine for humans against the H5N1 influenza virus
- OSHA's Guidance for Protecting Workers Against Avian Flu
- OSHA's Pandemic Preparedness Guidelines for Healthcare Workers
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- Quick Tips 285: Proper Handwashing
- An example of a pandemic preparedness checklist for businesses
- OSHA's workplace safety and health guidance document will help employers prepare for an influenza pandemic
- International Society For Infectious Diseases
- NIOSH Publication - Protecting Poultry Workers from Avian Influenza